Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2016

Grandma's Buttermilk Biscuits

Growing up I was fortunate enough to get to spend a lot of time at my grandparent's house. I remember the smell of biscuits waking me up in the morning. I'd come downstairs to my grandpa making bacon or sausage and my grandma checking the biscuits in the oven. They were always so delicious. At the time, I could care less how they were made or where she got the recipe. But as I grew up, I needed this recipe and I became super interested in how she came to have it.
When I first got married and moved to Georgia, I called my grandma one morning asking her how to make her biscuits. We talked on the phone for over an hour, as she walked me through each step. But, like most family recipes, there weren't measurements. It was all done by eye. After a little trial and error, I was able to figure out exactly how she did it. Now I'm going to share it with you!

You will need:
  • 2 c self rising flour
  • 1 heaping Tbs Crisco
  • 1 c buttermilk
How to make it:
  • Put flour into a large mixing bowl. Using a dough cutter or fork, cut Crisco into flour well.
akdshf.jpg
0109161108
  • Add in buttermilk gradually. Mixing well. You can add buttermilk by Tbs if more is needed. Dough should be sticky.
0109161111.jpg
  • Pat the top of the dough with a little bit of flour, so that it's no longer sticky to touch.
  • Flour hands and shape dough into biscuits.
0109161115
0109161115c.jpg
0109161115b
  • Place on a greased baking sheet.
  • Top each biscuit with a little butter
0109161120a
  • Bake at 425 ° for 20 minutes or until slightly golden on bottom.
  • Let cool slightly. Serve. Enjoy!

Did you enjoy this recipe? What is your go to breakfast foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment